We love CLI tools like Heroku Toolbelt, and we got to talking about how great it would be to offer this for our first product which offers pub/sub channels for realtime messaging. In the future, beta products like Chatkit or Push Notifications will be available from the Pusher CLI.
It all started when we built a CLI prototype at one of our internal Pusher hack days. It was a crowd-pleaser so we put in the development time to polish it for the developer community. We invite you to take it for a spin!
How do I get it?
There are a number of ways to get the Pusher CLI tool.
The easiest way to get the Pusher CLI is to grab the installable package for your platform from the releases page.
We have installable packages for Debian and RedHat distributions, a Brew Tap for the Mac afficionado, and Windows builds too!
We also supply compiled binaries for most platforms that you can use just by adding them to your PATH.
Finally, we’d like to note that you definitely can pull our Git Repository and compile the code yourself, since this is Free Software! There are more instructions regarding this in the readme.
What can it do?
- List your Pusher apps as well as their tokens
- Subscribe to channels and see events
- Trigger events on a given channel
- Run a demo authorization server (that by default just authorizes all clients!) to make debugging private channels easier
- Generate client and server code with your keys pre-filled, speeding application development
If you’ve got any suggestions for features we should add to the tool, feel free to tweet us at @pusher or leave feedback on the repository.