We’re excited to announce that Pusher Beams is out of beta and generally available for your production apps!
We’re proud that over 10,000 developers are using Beams to send critical transactional notifications.
Here’s what’s included with Beams:
- Unified API to deliver push notifications to iOS, Android, and MacOS devices
- Hosted service to manage the device token lifecycle for iOS and Android apps
- Android and iOS SDKs crafted to include the latest FCM and APNs updates
- Interests to deliver notifications using a flexible pub/sub model
- Insights reporting acknowledgement and open events directly from the client
- Debug Console featuring a realtime notification lifecycle event log
Gain visibility once notifications are sent
When we released a beta push notifications API, we learned that developers lack visibility after they send notifications. Neither of Apple and Google’s notifications gateways — APNs and FCM — provide delivery guarantees.
Notifications are the lifeline of applications — alerting users when deliveries are on their way, when news breaks, when a favourite player scores, or when a conference call begins — but developers are often left wondering whether notifications were delivered or opened.
When a notification is sent to a device with Beams, the client SDKs will report back an acknowledgement event once the notification is received. If the user taps the notification to open the app, the client SDKs will report back an open event.
Half of all opened Beams notifications are opened within a minute and half, demonstrating the powerful utility to reach a user wherever they are.
You can see your app’s aggregated acknowledgement and open events with Insights or as a realtime event log in Debug Console.
Stop wasting time with gateway scaffolding
APNs and FCM are free to use, but we heard from developers that building infrastructure around these gateways is headache-inducing. In fact, over 80% of Beams developers told us they tried integrating notifications directly through APNs/FCM before they started using Beams.
Here’s why you’ll save time with Beams:
- 3 out 4 of developers were able to get a test notification service set up with Beams in 30 minutes or less.
- This summer, APNs/FCM refreshed 1 in 10 device tokens managed by Beams. Developers don’t need to worry because our SDKs keep device tokens updated behind the scenes.
- The API is ready for scale. You can deliver notifications to 1 million iOS devices per minute and 1 million Android devices per 17 seconds.
At Pusher, we take pride in providing infrastructure that developers rely upon to build great apps, and we can’t wait to see what you build with Beams.
What’s next for Beams?
We plan to give developers more flexibility to target notifications to users, increase transparency for the health of their service, and improve deliverability across all your devices.
Beams has an active community of developers — special shoutout to the community supported React Native SDK — and we’re excited to hear your ideas for what we should build next!